Zaytoun supports an olive tree planting project which is run by the Palestine Fair Trade Association (PFTA) (http://www.palestinefairtrade.org/) who are based in Jenin. The PFTA farmer coops produce the olive oil, olives, maftoul, almonds and sun dried tomatoes which Zaytoun are selling.
£20 pays for five olive tree saplings (3 years old) please contact email@example.com to buy
Farmers interested in participating in the project apply through Palestine Fair Trade Association coordinators. Allocations based on the following, a farmer must:
- own a land suitable for the number of trees applied for;
- demonstrate capacity to care for and nurture trees;
- be ready to prepare land for a collective tree plantation day. All trees must be planted on the day they are delivered. PFTA Representatives will deliver and distribute the trees and ensure prompt planting.
Priority will be given to the following applicants:
- Farmers that have lost trees to the Israeli destruction and uprooting;
- Small farmers;
- Women that own their land and are interested in farming;
- Young starter farmers that have inherited or acquired land.
Find out more about Trees For Life here
In September 2011 a report by the Palestinian Ministry of National Economy and the Applied Research Institute Jerusalem estimated that 2.5 million olive trees and other fruit trees had been uprooted by Israel since the start of the occupation in 1967 – an annual loss of $138 million to the Palestinian economy. (http://www.haaretz.com/print-edition/features/the-real-cost-of-israel-s-occupation-of-the-palestinians-1.395839#.TsODT1xlO3E.facebook)